5.1.09

On...uninsured art, The Omega cafe' and Portland, Oregon 1989



...another washed up on my beach the other day.
Have'nt herd from that minor God in awhile. Long while.
he sends this foto of a peice from 88 or 89, maybe 90
could'nt say...

...In the Omega cafe one day, which was beside the Omega
watch shop, I hung this painting on their
trend setting walls. A string was hanging,
the canvas was streched by myself, and crudely
made... I was a young painter, had control of the infamous
Hand Gallery, on the top floor of 333 S.W.Park ave Portland,Oregon,
and a shakin' everybody up, from the phone company to the
Seceret Service...shook up.

...." I'm just gonna burn this little string,
and go home for awhile...I'll be back with another..."
I said to Terry of the Omega...

Terry called about an hour later asking me to come down...
I walked in to an Omega filled with a haze of smoke
and a small crowd gathered about this
painting. I felt good. People were looking...and people
were talking.
Terry said..." do you alway burn uninsured art ?"
the crowd parts and indeed, the painting was on fire.
Smoldering really.
The string was a wick or a fuse that set off the charge
that had this poor, but famous artist sittin'
here in that weird and beautifully complicated country 
some years later. It started the freak show, so it did.

" Do you always burn uninsured art ?" asked Terry.

Today I don't as a rule.
Today I've the foto and this cool memory...
We were minor Gods back then, so we was...

The freakshow continues....


Be well todo mundo.

J.Level

...and you there CJ, thanks and welcome back
can I help ya off with that life jacket...there
ya go...lift your hand alittle...there ya go...
...man, glad ta see ya...