16.2.09

Had a Bill Papas dream...




Ran acrossed this print by Bill stashed between
some pages of Luis Rafael Sánchez's book
" Macho Camacho's beat ", yesterday.
Bill came to me in a dream last night...

...there was a building that I wanted to live in
on the N.W. park blocks in old Portland round
1989-90. Big loft. Big.
Had more light than bein' outside.
Needed a place for the big painting's...
Bill's building was perfect.
Waitin' around in the bar that connects
with the Chetwynd-Stapleton gallery,
I sat 12 day's runnin' from 2:30 - 4:00
waiting for my moment with Bill.
It came in the form of a blessing,
Bill had seen my painting's and said this,
" ...why would you want to waste such quantities
of paint and canvas son...? ".

The move to telling stories with painting's,
The painting's within the painting's thing
I always thought had come
from my love for Diego Velázquez...
an influence that actually came from Bill Papas.
He was there last night in the little bar
next to the gallery, a bright and cloudy day
blowin' the trees around outside a smile on his face.
I show him some paintings from a roll...
He likes the arched windows and the bricks.
He likes the dog chasing the cat piece,
and the "Big gallery of the giant's " , for the
shadow's of the little people
and the painting's inside the painting...
" Brilliant ", he said in my dream.
That's what I remember .
All a dream, and though he's not with us
today, he was here last night
smilin' and smokin', leg's crossed and drinkin'
coffee tellin' me a story a greek girl, a bar
and the rest
of his life...
I didn't get the loft, Bill steered
me towards another that was wonderful
and my life took a different path altogether...
Thank's Bill.


Be well todo mundo,

J.Level

foto: Avid Brickman ( artbyavid.com)
print: "The Mexican sheep seller's" by Bill Papas